I am often asked lots of questions about making up roller bottle blends…
- Why should you?
- How you make them?
- How many drops to put in?
- How do you know what to mix?
- And the list goes on…
So I thought I would do a post on it to explain why you should make them! They are essential (see what I did there!) in our house and I couldn’t live without some of our roller bottle blends now.
Why should you make them?
1. Dilution – this has to be number 1. When applying your oils to yourself and particularly little ones, you must dilute them. doTERRA essential oils are incredibly potent. It can be hard sometimes to dilute on the go and it can get messy mixing up oils in your hands not to mntion hard if your little ones are babies and you only need a tiny bit of the oil. Making them up in a roller bottle is quick and easy and you can dilute different roller bottles to be age appropriate and you only have to do it once and can use them again and again.
2. Convenience – Once you have made it, you can take with you and don’t have to worry about the mess of making it up each time you need it (could you imagine carrying 4-5 bottles of oil and a bottle of fractionated coconut oil in your bag??? So much more convenient in a roller bottle). This is especially useful for blends you use time and time again. You can put in your handbag and go and even leave it with someone who could benefit from it if need be.
3. Saves you time – make up your top used blends in roller bottles at the same time! Get your hands messy (if you ae anything like me!) once and you are ready to go.
4. Saves you money – you are likely to use less oil in a roller bottle than if you make it up as you go in the palm of your hand. I know I certainly do. And did you know that essential oils evaporate? But they evaporate less if they are mixed with a carrier oil! So when you apply to your skin from a pre-diluted roller bottle less will evaporate meaning more is getting absorbed by your body.
How do you make them?
Making roller bottles is easy. It can seem a bit confusing and complicated at first but once you make one, you will be all set to make more.
First, work out what dilution you need for the age – how many drops per how many ml’s the bottle holds. I tend to use 10ml roller bottles and base drops on that. Sometimes I look into the dilution ratios sometimes I just put them in (especially for myself and my hubby).
1. Add your drops of essential oils to the bottle
2. Top up the roller bottle with a carrier oil – I use and recommend doTERRA’s Fractionated Coconut oil as there is no scent, it is light and not oily like a lot of other carrier oils.
3. Pop the roller top in – make sure it is in properly so as not to leak
4. Screw on the top of the roller bottle
5. Label however you like and you are ready to go
How do you know how many drops to put in?
Use this handy image (save for future reference or bookmark the page) to help with dilution of your roller bottles.
How do you know what to mix?
Really you can mix anything together. There are lots of roller blend recipes out there so you can search for a particular recipe on google e.g. ‘essential oil blend for colds and flu’, ‘womanly perfume essential oil blend’, ‘calming and relaxing essential oil blend’. Or you can simply choose oils that you have and you know work for particular health ailments. If you are making something as a perfume, you probably want to choose scents that go together nicely – you can simply put the bottles together and inhale and if it smells good test out a blend of drops and see how it is.
It is so much fun experimenting and you will learn which oils blend well together, otherwise jump on google as I mentioned above and search for something that is going to benefit you.
Making roller bottles is as hard or as easy as you make it but I am sure that once you start you will definitely not stop making them and experimenting.
If you haven’t yet started with oils and want to get your own oils, follow the instructions below:
To purchase doTERRA essential oils go to: http://mydoterra.com/sarahpoppy
1. Select join and save
2. Choose wholesale customer (if you plan to be a customer only - you can upgrade later but we can chat about that) or wellness advocate if you want to build a business with doTERRA or refer your family and friends and earn some money back for doing so.
3. Fill in your details
4. Choose whichever starter kit you feel drawn to (my pick is the Home Essentials Kit + Fractionated Coconut oil as it has everything you need to get started, otherwise select the Introductory Enrolment Packet and add the individual oils you would like to start with)
For more info on how to purchase click here: http://bit.ly/1pnyOwc